Friday, February 1, 2008

Baby Stuff



Here is the famous crib! (I included a special blanket that Grandma Sondgeroth made!)

This is the crib that John had when he was a baby, and he's wanted to use it ever since I met him! His mom has been so kind to store it for him all these years, and a few weeks ago, we pulled it out and dusted it off. I was sure we wouldn't be able to use it due to new standards, missing pieces, and the fact that I didn't really want a dark wood crib.

I printed off the "new" safety standards along with an article about crib safety, and we went to my mother in law's to take a look at this crib that John loves. I measured the distance between bars, and they were still in code. John started to put the crib together, and we discovered the only piece missing was one of the hooks that holds the spring board in. A pretty important part! John started doing some research online to see how we could order the part and he discovered they still sell this exact same crib. At Target no less! After making a few phone calls, I found the manufacturer and she informed me they have actually upgraded the spring set to make it more safe, and she could mail me the exact part I needed. I still wasn't convinced it would fit, but it did! John worked so hard putting the crib together. I've never seen him so determined to put something together. We ran out of parts, stripped some screws and got the power drill stuck, but John still carried on. I kept thinking it would have been easier to just buy the same crib and have them put it together for us. John would not hear of it. After a few intense hours, John was proud to say he put the crib together, and now our baby can sleep in the same crib that he, Michelle, and Kevin all slept in.

The same day we put the crib together, we registered for gifts. It was really too much for 1 day, but we were determined to get the most out of our weekend. We went to Babies R Us, and I had forgotten how different our tastes are. Of course, John wanted to hold the gun the whole time, and every time I turned around I could hear it beeping and John giggling about something. It was quite an experience. I have no idea if we did a good job picking things out or not, but it sure seems like we registered for a lot. We have been blessed and been given a lot of gently used items already, and it was fun to fill in the gaps with the registry. John's favorite registry item was Mortimer the Moose. He loves moose! He also wants to buy an Ohio State umbrella stroller but I can't seem to find it online anymore. If anyone sees one, please let me know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything is coming together so quickly now. She will be here soon! I saw the OS stroller, it is cute. Can't wait to see the nursery and of course you and your growing belly!!

Brandi said...

Oh my you guys are too funny! we had SO much fun with you guys on Saturday!

Love you!
Bran

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Men and their projects!:) The problem with this is after children. Projects + children = no time to do them. That would explain the long list of things that have yet to be done at my home.
BTW, I think the crib is very cute.

Megan Miller said...

She is coming sooner than you think! Cant wait! You and John are going to be great parents! Love you