Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Red Letters - #1

A few months ago, I received 2 books for free in exchange for blogging about them. These books were recommended by Brandi, so I thought I would take them up on their offer and get reading away! It's hard for me to put my thoughts to words on this first book, "Red Letters" by Tom Davis, but I'm going to try. This is the first post for chapters 1-2. (Any quotes in this blog come directly from the book)

First of all - what are red letters? "In many bibles, Christ's words are set apart with red letters. This distinction reminds us that when God becomes Man and speaks, it's probably something we cannot afford to miss. So why doesn't the church take these "red letters" to heart? Why aren't we being Christ's hands and feet to the poor, the disenfranchised, the weary, the ill, the fatherless, the prisoners? Why has the church shirked its responsibilities, leaving the work to be done by governments, rock stars, and celebrities. The gospel wasn't only meant to be read - it was meant to be lived."

I invite you to join me on this journey and ask God how he would have you respond to this information. Let me start with sharing a little information about poverty

What is poverty?

Poverty is having very little food to eat.
Poverty is lack of shelter.
Poverty is being sick and not being able to see a doctor.
Poverty is not having access to school and not knowing how to read.
Poverty is losing a child to illness brought about by unclean water.

1.2 billion people are estimated to live on less than one dollar per day, and almost 3 billion on less than 2 dollars per day. That's 3.9 billion of the 6.5 billion people who live in our world!

Almost 2.5 million children die every year because of malaria! We have medicine that kills malaria and it's cheap and easy to transport! Why aren't we helping?

I'm not sharing this to make anyone feel guilty. I'm sharing so I can step out of ignorance and into reality. I'm choosing not to be afraid of what God calls me to when I start asking the question of what HE wants me to do. Will you join me in asking the questions?

Here is a link to Tom's blog if you would like more information or to order the book. I would love to read it with you!
www.cthomasdavis.com

2 comments:

Brandi said...

um. . love, love, love you!

I can't wait to read as you write, learn and ask these hard questions. I love your heart.

Brandi

Anonymous said...

yes... t